July 29 (Fri), 30 (Sat)*, 31 (Sun), & Aug 6 (Sat) 2016 | September 3-4 & 11, 24, 2016
Venue: Unit 416 Llanar Bldg., Xavierville ave, cor Gonzales St., Quezon City
Slots available: 10
The Large Format Black and White Photography Workshop is a 3-day intensive one-on-one learning experience designed for photographers who want to enhance their artistic skills by learning the traditional methods of black and white image making. The participants will be taught the basics of black and white shooting, processing and printing with the use of large format 4 x 5 cameras.
This course is open to both experienced and beginning large format photographers.
What you’ll learn:
- Lecture on calibrations of variables and proper placement of exposure using the zone system (demystified), using the large format camera and applications for medium and small formats.
- Preparation of chemicals and film processing
- Traditional wet darkroom printing
- Participants will be able to expose and process two (2) 4×5 sheet film.
- Contact printing of 4×5 negative using fiber based photo paper, and one (1) enlargement for 4×5
Day 1 – Introduction to Black & White Photography
- Slide Show
- Anatomy of a Large Format Camera
- Lecture on How to expose Black & White film. “Calibrations of Variables”
- A Guide on Proper Placement of Film Exposure
- Loading of Film
- Photography Using the Large Format Camera
Day 2 – Practice shooting (self-assignment)*
*Participants own equipment. Film processing & printing not included
Day 3 – Introduction to Film Processing
- Preparation/ mixing of Chemicals
- Unloading of Films
- Film Processing
Day 4 – Introduction to Printing
- Fstop Printing How-to
- Contact Printing
- Archival Washing
- Critique and Q&A
- Participants must have prior knowledge in Basic Photography.
- Large format camera is an advantage but not required. Punctuality is a must.
Participants may also bring along their 135/120 camera loaded with film to be able to practice shooting (film processing & printing not included within the workshop).
Workshop Fee: P8,000**
**Inclusions: Lecture, Certificate, 2 – 4×5 B&W film, Photo Paper, Chemicals, Use of equipments, Food
About the Speaker:
Rey Castañeda, is a Fine Art photography practitioner since 1992. He currently teaches History of Photography and Black & White Photography at De la Salle – College of St. Benilde. Rey is also accredited with a National Certificate Level II from TESDA. He already had a number of local and international photo exhibits, the latest was at Alcove Gallery in Makati and in Saudi Arabia.
ManilaPhotoWorkshop.com reserve the right to modify course content without prior notice. Should the minimum number of students has not been met, workshop dates may be moved at a later date.
To receive updates on upcoming workshops, please sign-up for our newsletter.